Research and communications for international development
For the past 12 years I have provided research, research management and communications services to Agence Française de Développement, The Asia Foundation, Chatham House, the EU External Action Service, IDS STEPS Centre, UNDP, UN FAO, and the World Bank, among others. Assignments have addressed a wide range of development issues including climate change, competition policy law, education, energy, epidemics and pandemics, green growth, natural resources and resilience, poverty reduction, pro-poor agriculture, public health, social exclusion, and social protection. I have also worked on monitoring and evaluation and knowledge management assignments for UNICEF in Indonesia.
My more academically-orientated work centres on the politics of knowledge, employing interdisciplinary methods to connect theory with action in the linked fields of environmental governance, infectious disease, agriculture, and food security. I have related experience in water and sanitation, gender awareness, communications for development, child protection, environmental degradation, and disaster prevention and mitigation.
I completed an ESRC-funded PhD at the Institute of Development Studies in 2011 and have MA and BA degrees in Philosophy, Psychology and Physiology from Oxford University (1980), and a PgDp in Television Production from Sheffield Hallam University (1996). Currently I divide my time between London and Jakarta.
- Full UNOPS Compliance Certification (2019): BSAFE, HIV in the Workplace, Working Together Harmoniously, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, UN Human Rights Responsibilities, Discover UNOPS, Information Security Awareness , Ethics and Integrity, I Know Gender.
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society (from 1986)
- Member, Chartered Institute of Journalists (from 1985)
- OSCE Hazardous Environments, UN Field Security, and BBC Location Safety trained.
- Based in Indonesia 2008-20, Switzerland 1990-94, Indonesia 1981-83.
- Travelled widely professionally 1983-96.
- First language English; intermediate French and Indonesian; basic German and Italian.